Thursday, August 26, 2010

Coppeneur Ocumare Venezuela 72% cocoa


Earthy, chocolate with an edge. Walnut flavors and other nuttiness are strong. Finish is a noticeably bitter. 7.0

This is an expensive bar, and it is packaged to fit the bill. The flap is sealed with wax, and there is a 40 page booklet included inside. The text is in German and English, with pictures of cocoa beans, cocoa plantations and Coppeneur products.

When I opened the bar, I was impressed by the design imprinted on the bar's surface. It is an image of a cocoa bean with the Coppeneur logo. It was almost too pretty to eat. But I overcame that reluctance.

The salesperson at the store where I bought this bar highlighted how rare and sought-out Ocumare cocoa is. I've tried other Ocumare chocolate, and have liked it. See the post for Unique Origin Ocumare Criollo Cocoa which I rated an "8". Also see Amano Ocumare Grand Cru which I rated as "7". Yes, I like Ocumare bars, but I have not been strongly "wowed" by them.


www.coppeneur.de

1 comment:

Steve said...

From the label:
"Rare Criollo cocoa bean from the sub-type Ocumare 61 from the Ocumare valley. Mildly spicy, slight peaty aroma with flavours overtones of almonds and cherries."