Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Potomac Peru Ucayali River 70% cacao

This bar has a very robust cacao flavor and is quite bitter for a 70% bar. The front taste is roasted, with a charcoal tinge in the mix. A lesser taste is an earthy, woody note. The aftertaste is lengthy with a tapering echo of bitterness. 7.8

I tasted an earlier Peru bar from a different plantation from Potomac: Potomac San Martin Peru 70% cacao. I noted in that review that the bar tasted more bitter than I have come to expect from a 70% cacao bar, just as I noted for this bar.  From my experience with the Fresco bar I would conclude that this bitter profile comes from a "Light" roasting level which I suspect is being used for these bars. The Fresco description of Light roasting is "just enough to soften the cacao's raw, acidic edge." This lines up with my experience with the bars.

1 comment:

Steve said...

From the label:
"Tasting notes: Fig, banana, cherry, cedar"