Saturday, January 18, 2014

Amedei Trinidad 70% cacao

While my first impression of this bar was diminished by an unusual flavor, I found myself wanting to taste more of the bar, and consumed half of it before I knew it. That flavor is mildly metallic, certainly not harshly so, with earthy elements. When chewed, this flavor vanishes quickly. When allowed to melt, the flavor is noticeable at first, but fades. 

The bottom line for a bar is how enjoyable it is, and this one quickly disappeared from my tasting table. 8.2

I notice that the tasting notes on the label mention "fragrant as a Cuban cigar" and then mentions "walnut husk," "vanilla cocoa," and "wood and bark." Quite a range, but these do align with my experience. This is a complex bar with surprising flavors, worth exploring.

1 comment:

Steve said...

From the label:
"Ripened under the sun of Trinidad, the beans of this elegant chocolate are as fragrant as a Cuban cigar. It's crisp cracking sound foretells the flavour's tropical soul of walnut husk, vanilla cocoa and subtle nuances of wood and bark."