Saturday, April 23, 2016

Said Madagascar 64% cocoa

Quite bitter for a 64% cacao bar. Earthy with a maple back flavor. Fairly long aftertaste carried along by the bitterness. 7.2

www.said.it

This is the last bar from my October trip to London and Ireland. Quite a long run of reviews from the hoard!

After opening this bar, I looked for the Best By date and noticed that it said "Best Before 03/10/2015." That's October 3, 2015, not March -- but I bought the bar during the third week of October last year, so it was already past the "best by" date when I purchased it. There is a good chance that I saw the label, and decided that it was worth buying it after the best by date for an opportunity to taste a new bar. I probably should have put it at the front of the queue of bars to review.

The surface of the bar was slightly oxidized. I doubt that the bar's age significantly changed its taste, but that is a possibility. I'll need to try a Said bar again when I can find one that is before its "Best Before" date.

1 comment:

Steve said...

From the label:
"Caratterizzato da sapore intenso, amaro con note fruttate di mirtilli, liquirizia e caffé"

which translates to:

"Characterized by an intense flavor, bitter with fruity notes of blueberry, licorice and coffee."