Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mast Brothers Ocumare De La Costa 75% cocoa

Quite bitter, with a chalky aftertaste. Not a profile that gets much interest from me. The tasting notes from the label lists: "raisins, tea, licorice, apricots." I do not taste much of these flavors, though the most likely flavor I taste is the raisins (or more like prunes -- a bit sweeter than raisins). 6.7

This is another region chocolate that I've been underwhelmed by. The Coppenaur Ocumare bar was beautifully made, a very nice looking bar, but I only rated it a 7.0. I was told when I bought that bar that Ocumare region beans are very sought after, thus the high price. Okay, that's fine -- it's just not a taste that excites me. I rated the Unique Origin Ocumare bar higher at 8, and noted a sweetness and "tang". I taste neither of these with this bar. The Amano Ocumare Grand Cru got a 7 rating, but my notes read more generous, referring to fruit notes and a smooth finish. Perhaps the manufacturing side is much more important in how the Ocumare beans turn out than the beans themselves.

$12 / 2.5 oz (at Mietta in San Francisco)

No comments: