Saturday, February 19, 2011

Meiji BLACK Chocolate

I found this bar in a small Japanese convenience store in my neighborhood.  Meiji is available in milk chocolate as well as this semi-sweet format.  This is also the first Japanese chocolate I've tried, though it is clearly not in the "gourmet" market.  The bar reminds me more of the mass-market semi-sweets bars from Hersheys or Cadbury.  The label is in Japanese, so I could not find a mention of percentage of cocoa in the bar.

At that point of measurement, Meiji BLACK is an acceptable and approachable.  Very rich in cocoa flavor, with a noticeable sweetness.  There is no bitterness, but a certain amount of pucky tartness from the heavy cocoa flavor.  Not bad, though also not great.  6.0

www.meiji.co.jp

1 comment:

Steve said...

I found another review of Meiji BLACK at:

Doug's Chocolate Republic Meiji Black

I chuckle because we gave the bar the same rating (I hadn't seen this site's rating before I gave mine).