Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Potomac Chocolate Upala 70% cocoa

Earthy taste, but with a cherry note that pops out initially.   Strong aftertaste that stays with you, but is not overpowering. Fairly bitter, but nicely balanced.  The bar appears well-made. 8.3

PotomacChocolate.com

I obtained this bar at one my my local chocolate stores, but I will be traveling to Virgina/Washington D.C. this weekend and it seemed like a good time to try this bar.  Woodbridge, where this bar is made, is in the greater Washington area, a bit to the south of it.  The label indicates that this is handcrafted there.  I'll add the label notes to the Comments section.

3 comments:

Steve said...

From the label:
"Single origin dark chocolate made from cacao grown in Upala, Costa Rica.
"In my small workshop in Woodbridge, Virginia, I handcraft chocolate starting with whole cacao beans. I work to coax out the best flavors with each step--from roasting, cracking and winnowing the beans; refining, mixing and conching; to tempering and molding the final bars. Enjoy!
"--Ben Rasmussen, Chocolate Maker"

Ben Rasmussen said...

Hi Steve. Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed the bar!

-Ben

Steve said...

I contributed to your Kickstarter project, Ben -- looking forward to getting some new bars to taste. Good luck with the project!