Sunday, November 30, 2014

Southbend Chocolate Company Dark Chocolate

Strong caramel flavors backed by cocoa. Not very bitter. 6.9

The label does not indicate a cocoa content percentage, but lists its ingredients as "Semi-Sweet Chocolate." Then in parenthesis describes Semi-Sweet Chocolate as "Sugar, Chocolate Processed with Alkali, Cocoa Butter, Milkfat, Soy Letchin, Vanillin - an Artificial Flavor, Natural Flavors." So it is clear that the cocoa percentage is likely less than 50%, as the order that ingredients are listed (Sugar is first) is by largest amount. Milkfat? Well, I would only expect that in milk chocolate. Vanillin? Artificial anything is not what I am looking for in my chocolate. "Processed with Alkali"? I don't like the sound of that!

The bar tastes fine for what it seeks to achieve, but I deducted points for the artificial flavoring.

My friend Jim brought this bar back from his trip to Indiana.  Thanks, Jim!

www.sbchocolate.com

No comments: