Thursday, June 22, 2017

Uniconf Dark Chocolate 80% cacao


I found this bar in a Russian food store in Oakland. The chocolate was respectable, tasting slightly better than other mass-market bars I have tasted. However the Russian writing on the label intrigued me. I asked a Russian-speaking friend with whom I work to translate the label. The large script says "Dark Chocolate," not too surprising. However the writing in the red oval apparently says "Red October" -- a reference to the 1917 Russian Revolution, and the start of the communist Soviet state.

A first for Choco Check -- communist chocolate!

The bar's ingredients include vanilla, so there is no Chocolate Check rating.

www.uniconf.ru

1 comment:

Steve said...

Actually, this was not a first. Vietnam is also a Communist state, and I have done several reviews of cacao from Vietnam before this one. See this post for a summary of all of the Vietnam-origin cacao ChocoCheck has reviewed.