Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Hotel Chocolat Ecuador Hacienda Iara 90% cocoa

A 90% cocoa bar will always be quite bitter, and this bar does not stray from this point. The sharp bitterness almost tastes medicinal. Why not, after all, chocolate is good for you (flavonoids and all that). Take your medicine!

My usual palette for tasting assessment is skewed by this intense bar. So I will stray from my usual practice of posting the notes from the bar's label in the Comments section of the post and include them here:
From the label: "Quickly floods the mouth with super-mellow but deep cocoa. The aroma  of roasted nibs gives way to vintage leather with a flutter of acidity."
 Other than the super-mellow part, there's nothing about this description that I disagree with. When I read this to another person I was asked, "Oh, are they saying it tastes like old shoes?" Of course not, but it is a reach for describing how the chocolate tastes.

My ratings are based on how much I enjoy the bar, not primarily on how well crafted it is. I am not a fan of extremely high cocoa percentage chocolate, so the rating reflects that: 6.1

No comments: