Monday, August 6, 2012

Recchiuti Chocolate Art Piece

On one of my occasional (okay, regular) visits to the Recchiuti store in the Ferry Building, I noticed something different -- they called this a Chocolate Art Piece.  Which made me wonder, was the goal a delicious work of culinary art with a fresh aesthetic? Or was the visual impact the real focus, with the chocolate serving only as the convenient substrate?

You can judge the visual impact for yourself from the picture.  There were many available for purchase, all unique.  They reminded me of tie-dye clothing, but I imagine that they were made by spinning the chocolate and dripping the colored material on it.

As for the culinary part, my conclusion was that it was secondary.  The taste was okay, but not outstanding. I felt a little odd eating an artwork.  I would think that you would need to at some point, unless your plan is to frame it. Just don't hang it on a wall that gets sun!


No comments: